Sunday

evaluation.

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
The genre of music that I used is Indie/Electro/Pop so by having a diverse genre it meant that I didn't need to conform to other music video styles. I wanted to create a uniqueness to the video but still resemble the original artist Lily Allen as she represents her audience more so than other female singers. In my most pop videos the setting and location is very over the top, however, looking at both Lily Allen music videos and less conventional artists I found that the location was in more humble surroundings. I challenged media conventions by not having the video completely focused on the narrative, which is about a younger sister apologising to her older half-sister. I only used 2 stills in which this came across, but I wanted the main focus to be on the artist apologising, rather than making the music video look like a short film. In regards to costume I didn't want the artist to look in anyway provocative or promiscuous, which is how a lot of artists portray themselves these days. I wanted my target audience to be able to relate to my artist so had them in normal clothes that my demographic would wear.


2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
For my ancillary texts I made a promotional poster, a digipak and a website. I feel that I was able to link all of these in with my music video by using similar clothing and shooting the digital work in similar surroundings. I made sure that all three ancillaries were cohesive by using the same colour scheme and font throughout. I feel that this helped highlight the way in which I wanted my music video and artist to be represented. I didn't want the ancillary texts to contrast to what my music video was about and I felt in order for there to be cohesion I needed all my final products to have a simplistic resemblance. Similarly to my need to have the music video just to be about the artist apologising I felt that the ancillary tasks should be the same which is why i kept them as they were, without too much going on, and I'm very pleased with how this has worked out.


3. What have you learned from your audience feedback?
My audience feedback enabled me to understand what my demographic liked in terms of music and in terms of products. It was quite clear that most of my target audience felt there was no need to over do products and let the artist and the music video sell themselves. I felt I've done this by having such a simple, yet effective music video. When I had done my finished product the comments that I got back were very positive & the feedback made me aware that I had created a video and products that would interest my target audience. As I had already had critique between my first and second cuts, it meant that the final product was what my focus group and target audience wanted. I was able to use their criticism to enhance what I had already done, and improve on it also. Due to this feedback I ended up adding an extra shot location which ended up being 2 extra stills in the music video which i thought gave the narrative more authenticity, and I was very pleased with the result.

4. How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
Most of my use of media technology was done throughout the filming process via use of cameras, video recorders and tripods for both of these. However, after the filming stages I had to create my ancillary texts. To edit my filming I had to use iMovie which was at times a challenge, however, I'm pleased with the outcome of my music video so this shows how effectively I was able to use it. I also used photoshop to create my digipak, advertisement and website which I was already acquainted with due to my foundation portfolio. I finally had to use iDVD to create the dvd for my digipak. As I wasn't aware of how to use it, it was a struggle at times but I feel that I ended up with a great finished product due to the authenticity that the dvd gave the digipak. In regards to the different technologies I used, I feel that because I was doing quite simplistic tasks I didn't really need to change a lot of things after I'd filmed or photographed them. It was more important to me to have a cohesive set of finished of products than to over compensate and have an outcome that I wasn't proud of. I am really pleased with my final products.

No comments:

Post a Comment